birding-aus

Grey Falcons sighting on Fraser Island, SEQ - Sept 10, 2002

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Grey Falcons sighting on Fraser Island, SEQ - Sept 10, 2002
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:29:38 +1000
Hi,
I'm just back on-line after returning to Sydney from a holiday on Fraser Island.
The following is a summary report of an apparent sighting of 2 Grey Falcons by my wife and myself on Fraser Is.
Can anyone confirm a characteristic observation which puzzled us: does the growing juvenile Grey Falcon's cere turn bright yellow before the eyerings do - because this is what we found?

SUMMARY REPORT

Date/time:  Sep 10, 1.30pm
Location: Red Canyon (Coloured Sands), eastern coast of Fraser Is. (Cathedral Beach)
Weather: Warm, sunny, very light breeze.
Observers & binos:
Lynn Roubin - Nikon Travelite Series V  -  8x25
Bruce Roubin - Tasco RareBird Series - 10x42
Observations:
The first bird was perched with a leg tucked-up in its breast, sitting approx 10 metres up on the foremost ridge at the Canyon entrance.
It had evenly light grey on head and upper plumage, and was very pale grey to white underneath (appeared white to unaided eye).
Looking up to the bird with our binos from about 18m away, we found fine black streaks on its throat and breast and very distinct moustache line under eye - just a bit longer than the bill length.
The cere was bright yellow, but the eyerings were not (this was checked from various vantage points around the base of the ridge). The eyes were dark and set in just barely discernible light grey rings.
The feet were yellow, but not as bright as that of the cere.
After approx 10 mins, this bird took flight when a whistling kite flew into view using the sun as cover. The falcon was then observed gliding back and forth across the top of the canyon, criss-crossing with another Grey Falcon which had also taken to the air from some hidden perching spot. The 2nd falcon's features could not be seen in any detail, apart from matching the 1st one in its gliding angular wing profile and size, with the very pale grey below (to darker wing tips).
After 4-5 crossing glides, they both headed-off behind the canyon and out of sight.
We passed by this canyon on 3 more days within the following week, but each time it was very windy (strong SE) and the birds were not to be seen again.

Kind Regards,
Bruce Roubin