birding-aus

Two things: Info on rare birds and RFI for Mackay

To: "" <>
Subject: Two things: Info on rare birds and RFI for Mackay
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:59:33 +1000
Hi all, I thought I would shove my oar in on the providing information on
rare birds issue.

Basically, the only people who need to know about the location of rare bird
species are those involved with its conservation/management and research.
Everyone else is in the category of wants to know.  I would have thought
general/habitat-based directions would be ample, as anything else takes a
lot of the fun out of birdwatching, and could be detrimental to the
environment if site-specific information gets out (from well-meaning
birdwatchers, not from deliberate damage, mind you).

Having said that, I do contribute to birdline, but generally with birds that
are not absolute rarities, or with general locations.

Now, with all that off my chest, I have an RFI for the Mackay area.  I'm
heading up that way for 8 days of birdwatching on Wednesday.  I'm not after
any bird in particular - it's been 8 years since I was last in Queensland,
and since then I re-started my life list, so every bird up there is of
interest.  Does anyone know of some good birding sites, in particular
mangrove, rainforest and (further inland) dry woodland/grassland habitats?

Thanks, Mike

DISCLAIMER:This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are
School. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments
for the presence of viruses. The School accepts no liability for any damage