birding-aus

BUSTARD and FLOCK BRONZEWING RECORDS REQUEST

Subject: BUSTARD and FLOCK BRONZEWING RECORDS REQUEST
From: Mark Ziembicki <>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:30:25 +0930
Greetings all,

I write in the hope of soliciting some help from the vast pools of
experience of Australian birders.  I?m currently undertaking a PhD study
focussing on the ecology and conservation of the Australian Bustard in
northern Australia.  Part of the study aims to examine broad, landscape
scale patterns of distribution and movements of Australian ?nomadic?
birds.  To this end I am focussing on the Australian Bustard and Flock
Bronzewing Pigeon as model species, both being reportedly ?classically
nomadic" and relatively conspicuous and easily identifiable.

For this purpose I am collating records of the two species from as many
sources as possible and would therefore like to ask for your help.  I am
particularly interested in any and all records of Flock Bronzewings and
records for the last decade of Bustards from the arid, semi-arid and
temperate zones, particularly from regions where they occur
sporadically.  Required information includes location of sighting
(closest town/homestead or preferably GPS coordinate), date, number, sex
and signs of breeding activity.

All contributions will be most gratefully received and fully
acknowledged. To spare list members excess mail please respond directly.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Mark

Mark Ziembicki
Dept. of Environmental Biology
University of Adelaide
Adelaide, S.A. 5005
AUSTRALIA
Tel: (+61 8) 8303 5279
Fax: (+61 8) 8303 6222

Support the proposal to ban wild caught birds into the EU
www.worldparrottrust.org/trade.htm