birding-aus

The Big Twitch- The Big 5-0-0

To: "Robert Read" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- The Big 5-0-0
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:51:35 +0800
Robert,

Point well taken, I usually don't make a habit of camping at bores either.

In this case, I broke that rule partly due to slackness, (it was right on dusk when I arrived, and I wasn't keen to find somewhere else to pull over in the dark) and partly because of the situation at this particular bore. This one was fenced off, with a thirty metre pipe channelling the water to a trough outside the fence for the cattle to drink. When I say I "camped" I actually just slept in the car, arriving at dusk and leaving at dawn, parking the car on the opposite side of the turkey nest dam to the cattle trough to minimize disturbance.

But I concede that if the station manager had discovered me there, my explanation of how I was being responsibly irresponsible would not have gone down too well. With some landowners only to keen to find excuses to bar interlopers, particularly birders, this was not ideal behaviour on my part.

Will keep your advice in mind in the future.

Yours, Sean Dooley