birding-aus

Lord Howe Island Bird List

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island Bird List
From: "Bester, Adam" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:56:06 +1000
Dear Dean.

I should be able to help you out with the Lord Howe bird list.  Below is a list
for Lord Howe. I haven't included birds that haven't been seen pre 1975
(vagrants that are rarely seen are also listed).  I worked over at Lord Howe
for three years studying the Providence Petrels, so I can give suggestions to
all the good bird spots.  If you can afford it, and don't succumb to sea
sickness, I suggest a boat trip to Ball's Pyramid if you want to see Kermadec
Petrels and Grey Ternlets.  On the way you should still get White-bellied
Storm-petrels, Flesh-footed shearwaters, Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, Black-winged
Petrels.  In early November you will still see Providence Petrels and Little
Shearwaters.  A trip to the top of Mt Gower is a must if you are fit, although
the oldest person to walk up Gower was a lady in her early 80's!  There are
also plenty of migratory waders on the air strip and at North Bay (at low
tide).  They include Grey Plover, Pacific Golden Plover, Ruddy Turnstone,
Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew Sandpiper, Grey-tailed Tattler, Whimbrel and
Mongolian Plover (North Bay). North Bay also has a colony of Black Noddies
nesting in the pines.  A walk to Muttonbird Point will show you a breeding
colony of Masked Boobies.  Hope you have lots of fun. (try to get your hands on
a book by Ian Hutton 'the birds of Lord Howe Island'

great-winged petrel
cape petrel (usually in winter-spring)
white-headed petrel (rare)
providence petrel
kermadec petrel
black-winged petrel
flesh-footed shearwater
wedge-tailed shearwater
short-tailed shearwater
antarctic prion (rare)
fairy prion (rare)
buller's shearwater (rare)
fluttering shearwater (rare)
hutton's shearwater (rare)
Little shearwater
white-bellied storm-petrel
little penguin (rare)
australasian grebe (rare)
hoary-headed grebe (rare)
red-tailed tropicbird
white-tailed tropicbird (rare)
pied cormorant
great cormornat
little black cormorant
little pied cormorant
masked booby
australasian gannet (rare)
white-faced heron
cattle egret
great egret (rare)
rufous night heron (rare)
australasian bittern (rare)
glossy ibis (rare)
royal spoonbill (rare)
black-shouldered kite (rare)
swamp harrier
australian kestrel
brown falcon (rare)
pacific black duck
mallard
grey teal (rare)
buff-banded rail
purple swamphen
woodhen
eurasian coot (rare)
dusky moorhen (rare)
painted snipe (rare)
masked lapwing
banded lapwing (rare)
canadian goose (freakish!)
grey plover
pacific golden plover
mongolian plover (rare)
double-banded plover (usually in winter-spring)
black-winged stilt (rare)
ruddy turnstone
eastern curlew
whimbrel
little curlew (rare)
grey-tailed tattler
wandering tattler
common sandpiper (boat harbour- behind mt lidgbird)
greenshank
marsh snadpiper (rare)
latham's snipe
bar-tailed godwit
black-tailed godwit (rare)
pectoral snadpiper
sharp-tailed sandpiper
red-necked stint
curlew sandpiper
oriental pratincole (rare)
australian pratincole (rare)
long-tailed jaegar (rare)
silver gull (rare)
arctic tern (rare)
black-naped tern (rare)
sooty tern
caspian tern (rare) 1st sighting in 2000
little tern (rare)
common noddy
black noddy
grey ternlet
white tern
rock dove
peaceful dove (rare)
emerald ground dove
shining bronze-cuckoo
long-tailed cuckoo (rare)
masked owl
spine-tailed swift (rare)
sacred kingfisher
rainbow bee-eater (rare)
skylark (rare)
welcome swallow
fairy martin (rare)
richard's pipit (rare)
blackbird
songthrush
golden whistler
black-faced cuckoo-shrike (rare)
olive-backed oriole (rare)
lord howe white-eye
european goldfinch
european greenfinch (rare)
lesser redpoll (rare)
yellowhammer (rare)
chaffinch (rare)
common starling
magpie-lark
lord howe currawong

Cheers

Adam Bester

Regional Co-ordinator Birds Australia Atlas (Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands)