birding-aus

Beau Brummell, Bill Gunn and Early Snipe

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Beau Brummell, Bill Gunn and Early Snipe
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:14:08 +1000
I went for a stroll up Beau Brummell, a bump at the northern end of the Little
Liverpool Range that I had never got round to climbing before.  I wandered up a
ridge from the Edmund Park Outdoor Ed centre - plenty of spotted pardalotes
around [in some places it was a bit like walking through a colony of bellbirds]
as well as the ubiquitious yellow faced honeyeaters.  Also quite a few white
throated honey eaters and plenty of pretty-faced wobblies..  There were quite a
few whipbirds calling and the odd rose robin down low.  I also heard a white
throated warbler dropping a leaf or two.

There were a couple of striated pardalotes on the crest of the range [first I've
heard for quite a while] and both rufous and golden whistlers.  The southern
summit had very nice views across to the Mistake Range and down to Mt Barney.
The grass trees were in flower, and the silvereyes were flower pecking.

A wedgie cruised past as I was checking out the SES repeater on the summit of
Beau Brummell and I had distant views of a couple of medium sized raptors in
the distance.

It was 28C when I got back down to the car [this is winter?] and I spotted a
small group of little lorikeets near the front gate.

Seeing Bill Gunn Dam was just the other side of Laidley gulley and since Bill
Jolly has been a quiet lately, I popped in to see what I could put  on an atlas
sheet from a quick run around the dam.  Apart from the usual suspects, a sea
eagle flew overhead carrying something sizeable, there were a couple of Oz
shovellers, some red kneed dotterals and a couple of latham's snipe - I guess
they may have been fresh arrivals, because they seemed to have a hint of
breeding plumage - their breasts seemed to be redder than normal.  I eventually
managed to get within 20 metres of one [close enough to see the brown of its
tail through the nocker-lockers] which was nice.  There was also a lone black
cockatoo flying along the edge of the golf course - it sounded a bit odd [so may
have been a red tail].

Driving home along the Warrago Hwy, it was interesting so see maned ducks
feeding on the grass right at the edge of the road.

Regards, Laurie.