birding-aus

Carrying field guides into the field

To: <>, <>
Subject: Carrying field guides into the field
From: "Robert Grimmond" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:08:13 +0100
G'day Ausbirders!

As a 'pom', I've read the exchange of emails on this subject with a great
deal of amusement.

I think this business of not carrying a field guide around is a bit of an
elitist thing among some birders over here. The theory is that you're so
brilliant on your bird ID that you don't need a field guide; a bit of a
macho thing. That said, a trip round the popular birding sites will produce
a number of people toting field guides, not just beginners (although you'll
see fewer here than in the US).

As a first time visitor down under later this year, I'll certainly be
lugging the field guides around - I'm still struggling with some birds, like
some Honeyeaters, Thornbills etc!

Rob

Robert Grimmond
Kent, UK