birding-aus

Carrying field guides into the field

To: "" <>,
Subject: Carrying field guides into the field
From: REID Colin <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:54:28 +1000
Hi
        I 'learnt' my birding in Ireland and have been quite surprised to
find Australian birders carrying ID books in the field.
        I guess it's personal choice at the end of the day, however, one
argument for NOT carrying is that it teaches one to observe rather than just
compare. I must admit carrying a guide in the field MAY lead to more
definite identifications and less "......... sp", but, I think, the birder
then learns what is relevant for identification and, subsequently, becomes a
better observer. Reading books at home and researching leads, too, to a
better understanding generally.
        One area I believe where a field guide is very handy to have is on a
pelagic. The variety and possible opportunities presented on a pelagic which
are almost impossible to predict and, therefore, extremely difficult to
research make it very handy to have a quick reference while the details are
fresh.
        One final point - SOMETIMES I think the availability of a field
guide pointing out what the ID features are of a species, can encourage one
to see what may not be really there? If one has to rely on notes, memory and
general overall behaviour etc I think one has a more accurate image of what
WAS really there! Delicate point this, I know!!

Colin Reid
Brisbane
Email: