birding-aus

RFI, birders (Victoria)/volunteer opps. elsewhere

Subject: RFI, birders (Victoria)/volunteer opps. elsewhere
From: "pan" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:18:39 +0000
Hello,

I'm a birder from the U. S. A. to be visiting Australia at least August
to September, 2002, when I'll be helping as a volunteer assisting in a
project with emu-wrens near Portland, Victoria.  This will be my first
trip to Australia, so everything will be terribly new, and of course I
want to see as much as I can, including as many bird species as
possible.  I'll have most weekends off, but at this point, don't have a
way to get around, other than an occasional ride to Melbourne.  I'm
hoping to find birders who'd be willing to share my excitement as I get
the thrill of new birds (and mammals, plants, reptiles, etc.).  In
other words, I'm looking for people who'd be willing to take me
birding, give me a spot on the floor to crash, or give me tips about
how to get to the birds given my situation.  I'm a responsible adult
who has nevertheless not grown up, and am taking a year or so off
(science teacher, former national park ranger) to see more of the
world, and contribute to science and conservation as I may.  I play
well with others and don't throw things.

My second request:  my volunteer stint is only two months, and I was
hoping for more.  I'd appreciate leads for opportunities starting in
October, preferably in different regions (New South Wales,
Queensland,??).  I've been a birder since the age of eight, I've got
about 15 years of bird banding experience, and a master's degree in
wildlife biology (including a radio telemetry-involving project
reintroducing a locally extirpated bird species).  I've survived
variously remote field camp work experiences well.  I've got experience
as an interpretive naturalist and teacher working with the public and,
most recently, adolescents.
Please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address to make inquiries
or offers.

Thanks,

Alan Grenon

Seattle, WA,  USA