birding-aus

'Foy Pour Devoir'

Subject: 'Foy Pour Devoir'
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:04:18 -0700 (PDT)

Penn Gwynne <> wrote:

G'day Graeme,

What absolute porkers mate .... why then is Australia's largest refuelling ship steaming in the direction of HMS Nottingham? try www.google.com then put HMS Nottingham in the search criteria box to get an idea of her fuel capacity. Light diesel is better then bunker fuel oil I agree but only marginly, it strips away very very fast natural body oils, leaving what's left exposed to anything or everything, especially cancers. Light diesel oiled penguins suffer immediate burns and more. Oh well at least he said "sorry" unlike little Johnny eh?

I wonder what the oil floating time and distance is from Pen_Gwynne's beloved sanctuary at "Monty Queue" Islands? who's going to tell JAG about this? how far out do the penguins go to get their fish and ships eh? should JAG rename them? Fairy (tailed) Penguins!

RUEFUL NAVAL COMMANDER SAYS SORRY

Most of the papers have a little fun at the expense of the unfortunate Commander Richard Farrington, whose Royal Navy warship ran aground on rocks last Sunday. The Guardian circles Wolf Rock, 200 miles north-east of Sydney, on a naval chart for Commander Farrington's
benefit.

The captain, who could be court-martialled, was contrite yesterday. "I've hazarded the lives of 250 men and women. We've done some significant damage to a major British warship. It's not a good day for me .... I had no idea it would be the world's biggest rock." His crew "battled for an hour to float the destroyer off the reef as 7ft of water flooded their forward quarters and an engine room," the Sun reports.

The damage will cost GBP250m to repair. "It is quite the worst thing that has ever happened - quite the worst," Commander Farrington said.
"Character-building stuff."

* Contrite captain is all at sea
http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,751982,00.html

* Sun: Ship hits biggest rock