birding-aus

Swifts Parrots in Wyong Shire

To: <>
Subject: Swifts Parrots in Wyong Shire
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:20:56 +1000
Hi All,
My son Tim and I did a quick trip this morning around some of the sites where Swift Parrots have been reported in Wyong Shire and are able to report that the sites are still all occupied. While having morning tea, we were able to show members of the Central Coast Group, Birding NSW, the birds around our home in Murray Street Bateau Bay, part of the local population of 300+ that go to roost about 150m from our house each evening. We then went onto the carpark behind the Budgewoi Shopping Centre where 66+ were seen 2 days ago and the birds were still present, spread over an area of 1 square kilometre. Finally we went to Wyongah, on the western shores of Tuggerah Lakes, where once again spread over an area of 1 sq km, mostly around the streets of Murrawal, Darri, Coolanga & Coorabah birds were feeding in Swamp Mahogany, Woolybutt Euc. longifolia, Red Bloodwood and Forest Red Gum. All these species were flowering however the Swifties were taking both nectar and lerps from these trees. Paul Shelley found these birds on 5 June 2002 and estimated over 100 birds beingb present. We would confirm that figure. If the article in the latest issue of Wingspan is correct, that the population is only about 2000 birds, then 25% of the total population is present in Wyong Shire at the present time!.

Alan Morris
Central Coast Regent Honeyater Volunteer Operations Group.