birding-aus

Buff-banded Rail (and Native-hen) in SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rail (and Native-hen) in SE Melbourne
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:51:28 +1000
Has anyone else seen the Elsternwick bb rail please ?

I saw it again this morning in its usual spot just east of
the St. Kilda St. bridge over the Elster Creek/Elwood Canal
(Melway 67 D4). As usual it was feeding on a mown grass bank
and I found it by approaching quietly on the far side of the
golf course bridge.

It's been there for over 7 weeks but I've had no
confirmation from anyone else (easier than writing field
notes !).

Incidentally (!) there was also a Black-tailed Native-hen at
the large lake south of Bent Avenue, feeding just inside the
new fence.

Michael Norris