birding-aus

A "hit"

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A "hit"
From: "rorert john brown" <>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:34:52 +1000
I have been reading ( with not much interest ) the golf ball debate. and would like to relate a story about a magpie which "took" a golf ball.  In 1981 I was invited to the local golf club (in Warragul 100kms East of Melbourne) and was fascinated to see in their trophy cabinet the skull of a Magpie !  It was impaled in a golf ball ! It seems the ball was struck with a 2 wood on the 9th tee, the magpie was flying directly towards the player, and it hit it fair and square on the tip of the beak. It penetrated right through the ball !  Needless to say the Magpie was killed ! The shot was unintentional -- of course !!  Although an Irishman, this is not just a bit of "blarney" -- it's all true, ring the golf club for confirmation  ---  he's of Irish decent as well !!!!