birding-aus

Some recent birding highlights

Subject: Some recent birding highlights
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:16:44 +1000

G'day all

A mixture of my recent birding highlights and a couple of tantalising rumours
follow:

Saturday 18th, First return to our garden (Hamilton) of an Eastern Spinebill for
the year was about a month later than usual.  This corresponded with the first
wintery blast of the year.

Sunday 19th, Lake Linlithgow area (sw Victoria):  250 banded Stilts and several
ouble-banded plovers were the highlights this visit.  Otherwise, lots of Brown
Falcons and Kestrels, a small group of Avocets and a single Whiskered Tern were
interesting.

Tuesday 21st May, Seymour Bushland Park:  This is a small patch of bush on the
Seymour-Yea road about 4km from Seymour and adjacent to the golf course.  I only
discovered it because of a brochure in my motel room with a Red-capped Robin on
the front.  Well worth a visit if you are in Seymour.  I saw 27 species in an
hour along the long loop track.  Highlights were Scarlet and Flame Robins, a
Fan-tailed Cuckoo, several Diamond Firetails and a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike.

Rumour 1:  A farmer north of Lake Linlithgow reckons he is hearing Stone-Curlews
calling at dusk on his farm.  I'll check this out next week.

Rumour 2: A third-hand report of a small group of Bustards in a padock near Lake
Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago.  I'll trying to get to the original source of
this report.  This time last year there was a small flock north of Hamilton for
several weeks - one was injured and euthenased at Serendip.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, 3300