birding-aus

Seawatching at Cape Leeuwin / Naturaliste WA

Subject: Seawatching at Cape Leeuwin / Naturaliste WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 00:09:19 +0800

I am considering spending five to seven days down in the south west corner of WA looking for seabirds at Cape Leeuwin and Cape Naturaliste in early July (sometime between Saturday 6th July and Tuesday 16th). Is anyone interested in sharing the costs?

Basically I would be coastwatching for a few hours each day. I will also investigate the possibility of going out on a fishing boat from Augusta. I will also be checking my web site details for this area, and also looking for Crested (Western) Shrike-tit in the Augusta to Margaret River area. One night I might spotlight in the Boranup State Forest near Augusta for the chance of a Masked Owl.

In the past I have seen the following from the coast in winter : Yellow-nosed Albatross, Black-browed Albatross, Shy Albatross, Great-winged Petrel, Cape Petrel, White-chinned Petrel, White-headed Petrel, Soft-plumaged Petrel, Southern Giant-Petrel, Wilson's Storm-Petrel. I am hoping for something new for me in WA such as Wandering Albatross, prions, etc. Blue Petrel is a chance in winter.

There are whale watching trips from Augusta where you get close views of Humpback Whales doing their leaps, fin flapping, tail slapping, etc.

So if you are interested, please let me know by Saturday 22nd June.