birding-aus

Watching out for waders

Subject: Watching out for waders
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 12:36:19 +1000
Hi everybody -

A couple of messages below from Asia regarding the ongoing flagging program
for migratory waders in the East Asian - Australasian Flyway.  Recently
Laurie Knight posted a media release regarding the Shorebird Action Plan,
part of which read: "The Shorebird Action Plan began in 1998 and aims to
build a network of 100 internationally significant habitat sites in 18
countries by 2005.  There are currently 29 sites in nine countries, 11 of
which are in Australia."  Identifying the migration routes and the
significant sites, especially those under the greatest threat of coastal
development and reclamation within the Flyway, would not be possible
without the information from the unpaid banding and flagging work of the
region's wader study groups.  Looking at the lists below, it is obvious
that many species would not occur in Australia except as vagrants, but
others appear in large numbers regularly each year.  Anybody seeing
leg-flagged waders in Australia (or elsewhere within the Flyway) can assist
the conservation of the species by reporting sightings through an online
reporting form accessible at the website of the Australasian Wader Studies
Group: http://www.tasweb.com.au/awsg/index.htm

N.B. I understand that a very small number of people continue to have
problems understanding the already tangible benefits to waders, such as the
establishment of the Shorebird Site Network, enabled by the banding,
flagging and survey programs of the wader study groups.  The topic has
already been thoroughly covered in this forum, so please do not regurgitate
material on record in the Birding-Aus archives, or make unsubstantiated
claims or baseless conjectures.  Anybody wishing to take this further can
contact me directly on the issue.

Cheers,
Hugo

Dear Shorebird Pals,

Please help us find our flagged shorebirds!

We put white over blue flags on shorebirds in Taiwan since 1998.  Follows
are the species and numbers of shorebirds we flagged.  We can easily find
our flagged shorebirds now in Taiwan in winter, but NONE of them re-sighted
in any other place of the flyway.  We have many resightings of Australia,
Korea and Japan flagged shorebirds each year.  We hope you can find our flags.

Kentish Plover                535
Dunlins                           378
Red-necked Stint            191
Greater Sand Plover        190
Lesser Sand Plover           82
Grey-tailed Tattler          49
Ruddy Turnstone               48
Grey Plover                       36
Wood Sandpiper                35
Common Sandpiper           34
Greenshank                      30
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper   28
Terek Sandpiper              23
Golden Plover                  18
Curlew Sandpiper            15
Little Ringed Plover        12
Broad-billed Sandpiper    11
Marsh Sandpiper               8
Painted Snipe                   6
Long-toed Stint                6
Redshank                         5
Common Snipe                 4
Whimbrel                         4
Sanderling                       4
Eurasian Curlew              4
Great Knot                       1
Red Knot                          1
Red-necked Phalarope       1
Black-winged Stilt          1
Oriental Pratincole          1

Black-crowned Night Heron 3
Little Tern                     13

Best wishes,
Wei-Ting Liu
Taiwan Wader Study Group

Hello,

Just a quick email to let you know that we have been putting leg flags
(white over yellow) on the following waders so far this spring:

Pacific Golden Plover        3
Kentish Plover                  1
Greater Sand Plover         3
Spotted Redshank            4
Common Redshank          12
Marsh Sandpiper               23
Common Greenshank        4
Wood Sandpiper                   2
Red-necked Stint                1
Curlew Sandpiper             129
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper       1

Could you please forward this to anyone you know in the flyway who might be
out looking at waders so that they can try and look for them.

Many thanks,

Paul Leader
Hong Kong

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>