birding-aus

Lockyer Valley west of Brisbane

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lockyer Valley west of Brisbane
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:47:23 +1000
Hi All,
Spent a nice Anzac Day yesterday in the Lockyer Valley west of Brisbane
in search of interesting species. Driving over Mt Glorious we spotted a
flock of Wompoo Fruit-Doves on a heavily laden White Cedar, fortunately
as they were unusually out of the rainforest I managed to 'digi-scope' a
couple of reasonable shots.
At Lowood we were surprised to see a beautiful Square-tailed Kite low
over the town, although I didn't get any good close-ups. Met our old
friend John Hadley at Atkinson's Dam and followed him to Seven-mile
Lagoon in (a vain) search of Banded Lapwing and Ground Cuckoo-Shrike on
the Turf-farms. Passing along Boyce's Rd I was fortunate to see a
perched adult Spotted Harrier but again failed to get any good images!
Marie was over the moon though as this was one species she had really
been searching for.
Recently John had found a Banded Stilt at Lake Clarendon (first
confirmed Queensland record?) but we failed to find it again there
although he did show us a flock of 50-100 Plum-headed Finch in the tall
weeds near the water's edge. These birds are quite tame and allowed us
to get close enough to get some reasonable images,  please contact us
for more detailed info if you plan to try and see them this weekend (or
just want to see some of the images!)
At Jahnke's Lagoon near Gatton (totally dried up!) an Australian Hobby
caught dragonflies and ate them on the overhead wires giving us
excellent views.
Tom

--
Tom and Marie Tarrant