birding-aus

Hudwit and Hooded Plover

Subject: Hudwit and Hooded Plover
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
Julian and I were lucky enough to see the Hudwit on
Monday evening thanks to Tony, Ian and Colin. Made a
good end to a short enforced trip to Port Lincoln. If
anyone is heading down there, Coffin Bay NP is a
reliable spot for both Hooded Plover and Elegant
Parrot. Rock Parrot are very easy to see at the Kirton
Point caravan park and along the Parnkalla Trail along
the foreshore, as are Blue Breasted Fairy-wren.
The area in Port Lincoln NP where we'd previously
heard Western Whipbird was completely burned out last
year.

Thanks to everyone who was good enough to send info on
Vanuatu. We had a week on Efate, but the birding was
pretty ordinary, mainly due to monsoonal rain (what
else would you expect in March!). There were a couple
of spots that we thought looked pretty hopeful when it
wasn't raining in spadefuls; hiring a taxi for the day
was the best way to potter around, we could stop where
we wanted (cost 8,000 vatu $100 ish). We can't help
much, but if anyone wants any more info, feel free to
contact us,

Debbie and Julian