birding-aus

Laughing? Gull

Subject: Laughing? Gull
From: REID Colin <>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:56:01 +1000
Hi
        Like everyone else, it seems, on the eastern seaboard I, too, headed
out Saturday afternoon to see the visitor on the beach at Bribie. After,
that is, an early morning walk at Lake Samsonvale, where I saw my first
Hobby and (Australian) Great Crested Grebes, followed by a drive through Mt
Mee State Forest (very dry) and a quick, unsuccessful, sojourn to Toorbull
to see Brolgas.
        The Gull had the last laugh.......
        I checked the jetty & neighbourhood beach and received advice from
an ancient local in a deck chair to the effect that 'everyone left 2 hours
ago' (now 3.15pm). I dashed to Buckley's Hole - no gull, but other birders
in the same predicament. I stayed to make coffee, they headed back to check
the Bongaree area again. Now getting 'desperate' I arrived back at the
jetty, after a second check of the Buckley's Beach area, to hear the gull
'was 50m up the beach but flew away'.
         Now 4.30 and the sun was sinking over the mainland - was I going to
be the only birder in Christendom to have made the island to miss the bird??
I, once again, headed up the foreshore among the cricket players,
fisher-people, children and dogs to find.... no funny gull. Sitting,
dispondently, musing my fate and suddenly there it was right in front of
me..... perfect view despite the failing light - who could mistake it?

        The last laugh, you ask?

In my excitement to see the bird I had neglected to remove my keys from my
car and the RACQ had to come to my rescue!

PS Thankyou to those birders who stuck around and helped me, despite my
stupidity, I appreciate your concern and assistance. The RACQ man turned up
at 5.45 and I was on the bridge by 6pm.

Colin
Brisbane
H Ph (07) 34203963; Mob 0412522962
B Ph (07) 34076265 ; Fax (07) 34076206

This email message (including any file attachments transmitted with it)
confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorised
review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email
(including any attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Any confidential or legal professional privilege is not waived
or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email
which is sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.