birding-aus

Resolving Wildlife Conflicts

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Resolving Wildlife Conflicts
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:06:54 +1000
Those who like a bit of environmental satire might appreciate a look at
http://www.satirewire.com/news/march02/coincidence.shtml

Something like the following item released by the Humane Society in the US may
be of use on our side of the black stump. <I've deleted all the product lists>

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/WILD_Vendor_List.pdf

Manufacturers and Suppliers of Products Used to Resolve Wildlife Conflicts

The Humane Society of the United States

September 2001

WHAT THIS IS.

This resource lists manufacturers and suppliers of products used in nonlethal
wildlife conflict resolution. Many of these products are discussed in our book,
Wild Neighbors: The Humane Approach to Living with Wildlife. No endorsement of
specific brands or any product line by The Humane Society of the United States
is implied or intended by inclusion here.

We have tried to make this list a comprehensive reference to providers of
materials and products that are humane and that can be appropriate in nonlethal
animal control under proper circumstances.

In some cases companies that purport to market ?humane? products are omitted
because they principally, to us, manufacture and distribute products The HSUS
considers inhumane. Some specific products that appear to be humane, and could
potentially be so if used under exacting and rigorous circumstances, are omitted
because we believe they present too great a risk to animals to be included in
this list. In some cases, particularly with larger catalogue suppliers, both
lethal and nonlethal products and devices are offered. In these instances we
have judged that making a more complete and
comprehensive list of sources for nonlethal products outweighed the inclusion of
suppliers who sell products we consider inappropriate for wildlife conflict
resolution.

This resource complements the Tools and Tactics chapter of Wild Neighbors: The
Humane Approach to Living with Wildlife as well as information included in the
individual species chapters. We know that the list is not complete and regret
any omissions. We would appreciate hearing from anyone with information not
included here since we will periodically publish revisions of this list. Such
information can be sent to: Urban Wildlife Program, Attention: Conflict
Resolution, The HSUS, 2100 L St. NW, Washington, DC 20037 or
marked attention Urban Wildlife Conflict Resolution Program.

HOW TO USE THIS RESOURCE.

The first section is alphabetized by product category with the names of
manufacturers and suppliers who offer each product. If you know what sort of
product you are looking for, check here to get an idea of the range available
and then go to the second section for contact information.

The second section lists the manufacturers and suppliers alphabetically with
addresses and contact information. If you know the name of the manufacturer or
supplier, check here.

SECTION I -- PRODUCT LISTING WITH NAMES OF MANUFACTURERS AND SUPPLIERS (VER. B)

EXCLUSION

The broad term exclusion covers products to keep animals from getting into
places where they are not welcome. A fence around a garden is a simple and
time-honored example. Exclusion is one of the most humane strategies to deal
with conflicts between wild animals and people since it can prevent problems
before they arise.

DETERRENTS

Deterrents negatively or aversively condition animals to stay away from certain
places. Most work by frightening the animals. Some work by making plants
unpalatable to animals that eat them.

BOX AND CAGE TRAPS

These traps can capture animals without harming them. Typically, they are used
to trap and relocate an offending animal to a place where, it is hoped, its
offences will not continue. This option for wildlife conflict resolution must be
used with caution and care. For a number of reasons trapping and relocating is
often a poor choice and should be considered a measure of last resort in most
situations. The exception may be an animal inside a building trapped and
released outside on the same properties. Relocated animals often suffer or die
from relocation. For many species there are few or no legally available places
that will accept a relocating animal. Used alone it is rarely a long-term
solution. Others of their species often replace relocated animals.

Dependent young animals can be separated from their parent by trapping and
extreme caution must be used to prevent this. No one should trap an animal
without considering all the possible negative factors or without considering
other alternatives to solve the conflict. Additional information on preventing
orphaning of dependent young when removing animals from buildings and on the
other issues raised in the short summary is available from The HSUS Urban
Wildlife Conflict Resolution Program.