birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Update - 10 March, 2002

To: "Birdline Weekly Update" <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Update - 10 March, 2002
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:51:51 +1100
Birdline Victoria Update No. 67
For the week ending: 10 March, 2002

I spent a good night at Bunyip State Park, east of Gembrook, on Sunday night looking for various nocturnal birds with my Dad, Norm and Joy Tansey.  We met Joy by chance at the Helipad off Black Snake Creek Road at dusk and waited for the unmistakable call of the White-throated Nightjar.  Once the Kookaburras stopped laughing we heard one and then two separate birds calling and not long after that a single bird flew over the clearing giving us fairly poor views of all but its eyeshine.  After this the area went quiet so we moved on.

The next stop was along Ash Landing Road where we could hear Southern Boobooks calling and Yellow-bellied Gliders gurgling, but we came for a Sooty Owl.  After waiting and waiting we gave up and headed off home, only to hear the scream of a Sooty!  We eventually found the bird with our spotlights and had good views of the bird looking around and stretching its wings.

We also saw Wombats, Black Wallabies, a Ringtail Possum, an Echidna, flying foxes and loads of micro bats, including White-striped Mastiff Bats.  Bunyip is always a great place to visit and can be accessed from the Princes Highway via Tynong North on the other side of Pakenham, or via Gembrook.

Sightings:

10 March

30 or more Freckled Duck late this afternoon at Lake Lorne, Drysdale (Melways Ref 238 C11) on the Bellarine Peninsula, thanks Russell Woodford.

8 March

At Werribee a pair of Budgerigars and a Diamond Firetail were seen, both probable escapees, thanks Shirley Cameron.

8 March

A Wedge-tailed Eagle was seen at the Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve, thanks Paul Hackett.

5 March

A male and female Gang Gang Cockatoo marked their seasonal return to the suburb by alighting in the Eucalyptus leucoxalyn rosea in the back garden, before being chased out by the resident magpies in Harrington Avenue, Balwyn North, thanks Celia Browne.

4 March

A Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater was seen and heard calling near the Sandringham Yacht Club. Over the last 20 or so years the previous earliest Bayside date was 26 March, thanks Michael Norris.

3 March

One or possibly two Noisy Friarbirds were seen in flowering Manna Gums along the Plenty River at Yellow Gum Park, southern part of Plenty Gorge Park (north of Greensborough), thanks Paul Peake.

3 March

A Nankeen Night-heron was seen at the Edithvale Wetlands, on the north side, thanks Ken Shingleton.

28 February

At Hattah-Kulkyne NP a White-bellied Sea-eagle was seen at Lake Hattah, a pair of Black Honeyeaters on the Old Calder road and 6 Mallee Emu Wrens were seen on Nowingi track, thanks Doug Holly.

28 February

A Darter with a milk bottle ring, or the like, around its neck was seen next to the Charles Grimes Bridge which crosses the Yarra River about 1.5 km downstream from Flinders Street Station, thanks Alan Flack.

Updates:

The Ringed Plover was seen on Friday the 8th on the Tern colony side of the Snowy River at Marlo, thanks Alan Morris.  Drive about 1km through Marlo to MOTS BEACH carpark.  From here walk down the steps to the backwater and cross.   Expect to get wet, possibly waist high depending on your & the tide height.  Then it is a short stroll to your Right to the Little Tern fenced area.

The Red-necked Phalarope was not seen at Hospital Swamp on the 9th thanks Alan Morris

Birdline Victoria is a service for birdwatchers to report and find out about rare and unusual birds in Victoria and is brought to you by the VicGroup of Birds Australia. Birdline can be contacted on (03) 9882 2390 or on the Internet at
http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooney/index.htm

Regards,
Stuart

This update was sent to you on request or via the Birding-Aus mailing list. If you received this e-mail in error please reply to the sender to be removed from the recipient list.