birding-aus

A wierd week at Werribee

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A wierd week at Werribee
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:57:20 +1100

This week has been very odd.  I work out in a Gym and while trying to balance my weights is glanced towards the heavens and saw what appeared to be sparrows with long tails. So I went out to see a couple of budgerigars, escapees I assume and guess they would be supper for a Hobby.  I came home from the Gym. and was showing  my  neighbour Julie  my new bird baths when in flew a Diamond Firetail, and enjoyed along drink.  I know I have a good imagination but there is really no doubt a Firetail.  I wonder if that was as escapee too?  I made a cup of coffee and while pondering these two strange sightings a Horsfield’s Cuckoo flew into my Casuarina. This did not surprise me as I heard one calling nearby but I had never seen one in my garden.  I was telling a friend of these sightings, she suggested I should keep taking whatever I was on!

 That all happened on Friday.

 Today, Tuesday, I celebrated the public holiday by taking my local Councillor down to the Treatment Plant, it was his first visit and although it was very windy he was very impressed with the habitat and would like to come birding again, a convert?

 I had not been home very long when Julie, previously mentioned neighbour, came over and asked could I go and identify the bird in their enclosed courtyard. It was a Quail, it was trotting around among the pot plants. I find there is a great deal of difference between the Quail in  the Fields Guides but assume it is a Brown,  but it  does seem very small, probably  an immature bird.  Morecambe and  Simpson & Day  confirmed my identification.   I carefully put out as bowl of water, soon the bird came over and drank for quite some time. Could this be another escapee?  Where would it come from?  How would it get into the courtyard?  It has been there for a couple of days and I wonder if it is able to fly up high enough to get out. What should we do?

Yes, I will continue to take whatever  I am on  so I can find more birds of interest.

P.S. I am still looking for the Ballion’s  Crake!

 Shirley Cameron