birding-aus

Freckled Duck at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Duck at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:15:01 +1000
g'day all,

I went out to Wide Bay ( on the western side of Lake Moondarra) late this afternoon to record directions to it for the Birds Queensland gazetteer of Qld birding spots. ( See http://birdsqueensland.org.au/ )

Within minutes of arrival I noted a silhouette that was a little different from the predominant Grey Teal.

Setting up the scope I confirmed a single female Freckled Duck.

For a while it paddled slowly along the waters edge with the other water fowl, taking an occasional drink.
It then walked onto the grass edge and started feeding.
When I approached to about 40m it retreated back into the water, ( rejoining the Teal, Pink-eared and Pacific Black Ducks ) started paddling slowly and again took another drink or two.

This is my first sighting of a live FD at Mount Isa. I had been shown a dead one found under power lines by Nicci Thompson from Toowoomba. I have recorded FD (2m+5f) 14km south of Camooweal, which is 180km to the West near the NT border.

Nearby was a Black-necked Stork (not uncommon in this area)
Do you remember the Birding-Aus thread on Yellow-billed Spoonbills ?
About 2-1/2km around the shoreline were 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbill being chaperoned by 7 Royal Spoonbills.

Question   Re my observation of the FD drinking. Is this unusual ? How often do other ducks drink ?

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.

ps for your info.
In a straight line, the Isa is .... kms from
  783  Townsville
1300  Darwin
1565  Brisbane
1577  Adelaide (we are due north of Adelaide)
1967  Melbourne