birding-aus

Kentish Plover

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Kentish Plover
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:01:13 +1100
I first saw the Kentish Plover on 19/2/2002 but decided I would look again on 7/3/2002 when I had time when up at Taree on business. Conditions on the beach have changed significantly since the 19th.. We located the Kentish Plover on the 19th on a bank of shingle about 20 metres south of the pink cup. This bank of shingle has now gone. Possibly sand has washed in but there other banks of shingle in other areas of the beach I didn't notice on my first visit.The  high tide on the 7/3/ was at 5pm and was only 1.1 metres. This left most of the sand island exposure and small plovers ( I couldn't get a ID with my 20X scope with wrong light) continued to feed on the island. The only birds on the beach were two male Red Capped Plovers and a solitary Pied Oystercatcher and these birds continued to feed. On the 19th - The KP, Red Caps, Mongolians, Double Bars Red-necked Stints and Sanderlings were roosting.

This was extremely frustrating for Bill McLean. Ian MacCallum and Ted Nixon who had been patrolling the area since 9am.

This may mean a change in strategy to see the KP, at least, until the next full moon when the tides get higher.

Allan

Allan Benson
Niagara Park
NSW