birding-aus

Kentish Plover

To: <>
Subject: Kentish Plover
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:32:37 +1100

Hi all, went up to Old Bar this weekend as did a few others that I met (I still can't believe that Tony R from SA drove all the way). Saw only 1 Kentish Plover and I would agree with those identifying this individual as dealbatus non-breeding adult - I would go more for female than male as I didn't detect any rufous on cap. Did see another bird which resembled closely a juvenile of the nominate race but for an incomplete collar - perhaps a juv Red Capped - bird certainly did have noticable rufous / pale sandy fringes to scapulars (more so than I've seen on RC before).

I've got some very average photos, and perhaps some video footage (waiting for camera to be fixed as it stuffed up half way thru filming - typical) so let me know if anyone wants to see these (These aren't as good as Trevors).

Also saw a couple of Greater Sandplovers mixed in with the lessers, and a Gull-Billed Tern sweeping the surf.

Thanks
Simon.