birding-aus

Barking owl

To: <>
Subject: Barking owl
From: "sally roddom" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 08:14:43 +0930
G'day everyone

I've seen my first Barking Owl!!!!  It was opposite my house in Tiwi,
suburb of Darwin in the NT.  I have heard them before at night, but
always in the distance.  I was up at 5.30 a.m. this morning and I could
hear it while the jug was boiling so knew it had to be close.  Sure
enough I tracked it down to the top of the light pole in the middle of
the road - one of those big orange lights that they use down major
routes.  Lots of insects buzzing around the lights - so smart little guy
(or guyette)It was there for about 3 or 4 mins after I reached the front
yard - long enough for me to focus my binoculars on it.  But it's call
is so distinctive there was no doubting which owl it was.

So I have another tick - life list growing, am up to 27 now!!!!!!

Hoo Roo

Sally Roddom

Darwin NT