birding-aus

Christmas Island raptor

To: "" <>
Subject: Christmas Island raptor
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:44:01 +1100
Hi all,
A few comments on the raptor photograph that appears on the OB ID forum that
Tom has brought to your attention.
I took the photograph on Christmas Island, Australia, on the 10th of
December 2001.
I made mention of this bird back in December on birding-aus believing it was
a short-toed eagle because of suitably positioned barring but was having
problems with just how dark the ventral surfaces were. I subsequently
obtained a professional quality enlargement of the 'little dark fleck' that
appeared in the best slide. This revealed a couple of extra characters I
wasn't previously aware of including the fact that the terminal tail band
was broader than the other tail bands. The jpg is a cropped version of this
enlargement (although on my screen it is darker than the original).
Following some discussion with several experts on Asian raptors I'm now
pretty confident I know what it is (and it's still a new bird for Australia)
but I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions people might wish to make.
Cheers
Rohan
Rohan Clarke
PhD Candidate
'Conservation Biology of the Black-eared Miner'
Department of Zoology
La Trobe University
Bundoora Vic. 3083
Tel 03 9479 1672