birding-aus

Visiting Singapore

To: "Chris Ross" <>, <>
Subject: Visiting Singapore
From: "Victor Yue" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:55:05 +0800
Hi Chris and folks,
As mentioned by Simon and Claire, the easy to reach spots
are:

    1. Sungei Buloh Nature Park (SBNP)
    2. Pulau Ubin
    3. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

1. Sungei Buloh Nature Park (SBNP)
I am just back from the SBNP with my family and friends from
Germany. We are still in the midst of the migration, and so,
you would be able to see the waders. On Sundays and
weekdays, there is a bus service (925) that brings you from
the Kranji MRT (subway) Station to the park. On other days,
you might have to alight along the main road and walk in,
about 5 minutes' walk.

2. Pulau Ubin
You will need to find your way to the Changi Point jetty.
You could easily catch a subway to Bedok or Tanah Merah
Station, from which you could take a bus to Changi Point.
And from there, it's 2-3 minutes' walk to the jetty. There
are two jetties, one to Malaysia and other to Pulau Ubin.
Boat fare is now S$2 one way. As the boats (small wooden
bumboats) would not move till there are 12 persons, during
weekdays, you might have to wait. As Simon has said, you
need to be careful in getting into the boat and out because
of the bobbling boats and the waves. Part of the fun. (^^)
In P.Ubin, you could ask for a map of the island (not a very
good one) from the Visitor Centre at the end of the jetty.
Otherwise, you might be able to get or buy from the bicycle
rental shops. I think there is a pair of the Oriental Pied
Hornbills (the locals there said they saw 4)

3. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve
The highest hill in Singapore at 581 feet [I learned in
school and so had problems remembering in metres (^_^)],
Bukit Timah Nature Reserve probably has the last small patch
of primary forest. Because of the thick vegetation, watching
birds require more patients, but there are always
interesting reports of sightings, especially during
migration season (Oct-Mar) and when the fig trees are
fruiting. The only way here is to catch a bus or cab. Watch
out for the monkeys which are getting rather agressive
because of public feeding.

4. Sime Road Forest
To reach this place, one has to walk a long way in or drive.
There are two approaches, and each is passing a golf course.
>From one end, it is the Sime Road. On the other end is the
Country Club Road/Venue Drive.

5. Bukit Brown Cemetry
This is not a big place, but an interesting place. It is a
very old Chinese cemetry (on the opposite of the Sime Road
leading to the Sime Road Forest) where you could learn about
Chinese culture (a little morbid though) and watch some
birds.

If timing is right, I would be most happy to go birding with
any of you, or at least have a cuppa or dinner. But I must
say that I am only a novice birder. (^^) You can reach me at

Victor
Singapore