birding-aus

Foxes in Tasmania

To: Simon Mustoe <>
Subject: Foxes in Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:24:36 +1030
Hello Simon

In your posting to birding-aus (17/02/02) you implies that recently foxes have been introduced to Tasmania and that some fisherman are responsible for this tragedy.

This would be an outrage but so far, I am unable to locate relevant information suggesting that foxes have been recently introduce in Tasmania and so far as your statement implies, I am unable to find any mention of fisherman.

The most relevant info seems to be from a vague ABC breakfast report. http://www.abc.net.au/rural/breakfast/stories/s419679.htm

Another Tas Govt site;
http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/SJON-52J8U3?open
explains why foxes "would be" the extreme threat to wildlife populations but does not verify that foxes are established or have been recently introduced on the island.

In Australia the modern professional fishing industry operates willingly under an umbrella of strict environmental codes.  This results in a responsible approach to commercial activity where any unnecessary environmental impact is considered and acted on seriously.

Would you please clarify your information as your comments imply a very serious charge against the fishing industry and, as a professional fisherman, I wish to follow it up within the industry.  An abuse such as you suggested would not be tolerated, so I look forward to your reply.

Regards

Ian May

Simon Mustoe wrote:

I understand from word of mouth that the government decided to offer $50,000 to anyone who could bag a fox for conservation. Hardly surprising then that a few enterprising bounty hunters have teamed up with some fishermen and imported a few. I would have thought however that it would be sensible to shoot them first before releasing them into the wild.