birding-aus

Foxes in Tasmania

To: "Simon Mustoe" <>, "Peter Waanders" <>, <>
Subject: Foxes in Tasmania
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:17:21 +1000
Simon-

I work in the area of feral animal control, and foxes are one of the animals that I have to deal with most.

The whole "bounty" issues is a strange one.  It doesnt matter how much evidence is presented to show that bounties have no real positive impact on feral animal impact reduction.  People still insist on having them, and yelling loud and long to have them brought in or reinstated.  It seems to be a sort of cultural thing, and it is very hard to argue against.  Arguements for bounties are usually accompanied by all sorts of other statements asking us to harken back to the good old days, when we didnt need fancy studies by the government, or ecology, or and kind of planned response to wildlife management problems. My experience has been that bounties are usually brought in as a result of political pressure.  There are rural interests who are totally opposed to any rational approach to feral animal management- they equate rational with academic, and they are absolutely opposed to anything that smacks of being academic, on the grounds that anything academic is ineffectual, inexpensive and likely to show disrespect for the undisputed superior understanding of "the man on the land".    When the call goes out to raise a bounty, it inevitably means that an animal problem is not being solved, and revenge must be sought.  A body count, not a solution, is what is called for when you want revenge.

Bounties, at least in their old manifestation, are a waste of money.  Worse still, they distract attention from proper discussion and understanding of biosecurity issues- things that are sorely needed.

Scott O'Keeffe