birding-aus

request for magpie info

To: "birds" <>
Subject: request for magpie info
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:09:08 +1030
Hi, two thoughts come immediately to mind:

1) How authenticated are the reports of Magpies causing problems in the east
of Oz. Non informed reports could be confusing Magpies with Pied Currawongs
which of course do have a bad reputation for predation on smaller bird
species. A non birder could easily make this error.
2) Here's my lack of knowledge showing up - what sort of Magpies do they
have in NZ ?  Are they a Gymnorhina species or those imported Pommie things
which also have a rep for predation and might behave quite differently?

Tony.