birding-aus

Birding and marine mammals

To: <>
Subject: Birding and marine mammals
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:16:50 +1100
Dear All,

Firstly apologies for the fact that this is a non birding related email.

I have long held a fascination with cetaceans (whales and dolphins) and it
is through associations with birding friends and acquaintances that I have
gained the greatest knowledge. I would welcome feedback from any birding
australia members on the idea of collating regular sightings information
onto a website. Any sightings information however old would be gratefully
received at this stage. I will begin by doing a search of the archives for
sightings during pelagics but any anecdotal information, sightings locations
and numbers, descriptions and photos would be of use when putting the page
together. If it is of interest to anyone, I could post sightings information
on an occasional basis to birding-aus. However, I will understand if this is
considered outside the list groups remit.

If anyone is interested, I sit on the committee of a group called
Organisation Cetacea (ORCA) in the UK. However, since I have moved to
Australia I  see no reason why I shouldn't try to internationalise it a bit.
The website is at www.orcaweb.org and has some good photos and information
on whale watching in the Bay of Biscay. It will give you an idea of the
potential that there is to raise interest and knowledge in cetaceans just by
tapping into the amazing resource of amateur naturalists that the birding
fraternity comprises - hence ORCA's strapline.

Apologies once more for going off the subject of birding. This is an appeal
for interest in the idea and any material that I can kick start things with
would be gratefully received. I would be particularly interested in hearing
from anyone who organises pelagics who might be keen to collect information.
Looking a bit further ahead, I see no reason why sightings information
cannot be collected using standard methods (relatively simple) and
contribute to national sightings information.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this,

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.

Simon Mustoe - Principle

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Email
Website www.onthe.net.au/ecologysolutions