birding-aus

RFI Clunes (Vic)

To: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Subject: RFI Clunes (Vic)
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:42:58 +1100
Marlene Lyell wrote:

> I'll be staying in Clunes for a couple of days (11th & 12th Feb)
> and was wondering if anyone has any info re the Clunes Forest.
>  I've checked the archives but was hoping someone might have
> some up-to-date notes.
> Just a minor further request.....in what direction should I drive to
> find the forest??  My maps don't show it at all.  Is there better
> birding to be found elsewhere in the district?
> A Painted Honeyeater would be nice.

Hi Marlene

I was there about a month ago, and the birding was quite good.  I found
Painted Honeyeaters out in the forest on the boundary of the private land
where they are usually found.  Please don't trespass on the private land
like many birders seem to do!  Contact the owner (Graeme Suckling) through
BOCA in Ballarat perhaps - I'm not sure where he lives.

Clunes State Forest is on the Clunes - Maryborough road, about 5-10km out of
town (central Victoria).  Head out of Clunes towards Maryborough down the
way a little you come to a small flora reserve on the left - skip this,
there aren't many birds other than Noisy Miners there.  A bit further along
you come to a point where there is forest on both sides of the road - this
is Clunes SF.  Park in the runoff immediately to your right as you enter the
forest.  Birding around this spot is quite good, and I found two Painted
Honeyeaters in mistletoe there - the private land over the road is where
about 5-10 pairs of Painted Honeyeaters turn up just about every year.
Another good spot is the nest left off the Clunes - Maryborough Road
(there's a state forest sign on the corner).  Go down to the railway line -
walking down by the line is good - White-browed Babbler, Restless
Flycatcher, etc.  I found Painted Honeyeater in the River Red Gums near the
old brick culvert, and there are lots of Fairy Martins nesting there too.

I've attached a list of all the species I've seen at Clunes SF over the
years - see below.

The swamps near Clunes mentioned by Martin O'Brien - Merin Merin and Middle
Swamp - are both bone dry and choked up with canary-grass (Phalaris) at the
moment.  Pity, because they're quite good birding spots otherwise.  Middle
Swamp is a good spot for Brolga when wet, and such rarities as Little Curlew
and Garganey have turned up there.  There are usually Brown and Rufous
Songlarks and Singing Bushlarks in the grassy areas too.

Cheers -- Lawrie

-

CLUNES STATE FOREST - Lawrie Conole
31/01/2002
Species recorded.
Master checklist is Australia, political outliers not included.
site=clun
-
Stubble Quail                        Coturnix pectoralis
Australian Wood Duck                 Chenonetta jubata
Australian Pelican                   Pelecanus conspicillatus
White-faced Heron                    Egretta novaehollandiae
Black-shouldered Kite                Elanus axillaris
Whistling Kite                       Haliastur sphenurus
Brown Goshawk                        Accipiter fasciatus
Collared Sparrowhawk                 Accipiter cirrhocephalus
Wedge-tailed Eagle                   Aquila audax
Little Eagle                         Hieraaetus morphnoides
Brown Falcon                         Falco berigora
Peregrine Falcon                     Falco peregrinus
Painted Button-quail                 Turnix varia
Masked Lapwing                       Vanellus miles
Common Bronzewing                    Phaps chalcoptera
Brush Bronzewing                     Phaps elegans
Crested Pigeon                       Ocyphaps lophotes
Galah                                Cacatua roseicapilla
Long-billed Corella                  Cacatua tenuirostris
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo             Cacatua galerita
Musk Lorikeet                        Glossopsitta concinna
Little Lorikeet                      Glossopsitta pusilla
Purple-crowned Lorikeet              Glossopsitta porphyrocephala
Crimson Rosella                      Platycercus elegans
Eastern Rosella                      Platycercus eximius
Swift Parrot                         Lathamus discolor
Red-rumped Parrot                    Psephotus haematonotus
Pallid Cuckoo                        Cuculus pallidus
Fan-tailed Cuckoo                    Cacomantis flabelliformis
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo            Chrysococcyx basalis
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo                Chrysococcyx lucidus
Laughing Kookaburra                  Dacelo novaeguineae
Sacred Kingfisher                    Todiramphus sanctus
Rainbow Bee-eater                    Merops ornatus
White-throated Treecreeper           Cormobates leucophaeus
Brown Treecreeper                    Climacteris picumnus
Superb Fairy-wren                    Malurus cyaneus
Spotted Pardalote                    Pardalotus punctatus
Striated Pardalote                   Pardalotus striatus
Speckled Warbler                     Chthonicola sagittata
Weebill                              Smicrornis brevirostris
Brown Thornbill                      Acanthiza pusilla
Buff-rumped Thornbill                Acanthiza reguloides
Yellow-rumped Thornbill              Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
Striated Thornbill                   Acanthiza lineata
Southern Whiteface                   Aphelocephala leucopsis
Red Wattlebird                       Anthochaera carunculata
Noisy Miner                          Manorina melanocephala
Yellow-faced Honeyeater              Lichenostomus chrysops
White-eared Honeyeater               Lichenostomus leucotis
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater             Lichenostomus melanops
Fuscous Honeyeater                   Lichenostomus fuscus
White-plumed Honeyeater              Lichenostomus penicillatus
Black-chinned Honeyeater             Melithreptus gularis
Brown-headed Honeyeater              Melithreptus brevirostris
White-naped Honeyeater               Melithreptus lunatus
Painted Honeyeater                   Grantiella picta
New Holland Honeyeater               Phylidonyris novaehollandiae
Eastern Spinebill                    Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris
Jacky Winter                         Microeca fascinans
Scarlet Robin                        Petroica boodang
Flame Robin                          Petroica phoenicea
Hooded Robin                         Melanodryas cucullata
Eastern Yellow Robin                 Eopsaltria australis
White-browed Babbler                 Pomatostomus superciliosus
Varied Sittella                      Daphoenositta chrysoptera
Crested Shrike-tit                   Falcunculus frontatus
Crested Bellbird                     Oreoica gutturalis
Gilbert's Whistler                   Pachycephala inornata
Golden Whistler                      Pachycephala pectoralis
Rufous Whistler                      Pachycephala rufiventris
Grey Shrike-thrush                   Colluricincla harmonica
Restless Flycatcher                  Myiagra inquieta
Magpie-lark                          Grallina cyanoleuca
Grey Fantail                         Rhipidura fuliginosa
Willie Wagtail                       Rhipidura leucophrys
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike            Coracina novaehollandiae
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike          Coracina papuensis
White-winged Triller                 Lalage tricolor
White-browed Woodswallow             Artamus superciliosus
Dusky Woodswallow                    Artamus cyanopterus
Australian Magpie                    Gymnorhina tibicen
Grey Currawong                       Strepera versicolor
Australian Raven                     Corvus coronoides
Little Raven                         Corvus mellori
White-winged Chough                  Corcorax melanorhamphos
Red-browed Finch                     Neochmia temporalis
Diamond Firetail                     Stagonopleura guttata
European Greenfinch                  Carduelis chloris
European Goldfinch                   Carduelis carduelis
Mistletoebird                        Dicaeum hirundinaceum
Welcome Swallow                      Hirundo neoxena
Tree Martin                          Hirundo nigricans
Fairy Martin                         Hirundo ariel
Silvereye                            Zosterops lateralis
Common Blackbird                     Turdus merula
Short-beaked Echidna                 Tachyglossus aculeatus
Common Ringtail Possum               Pseudocheirus peregrinus
Common Brushtail Possum              Trichosurus vulpecula
Eastern Grey Kangaroo                Macropus giganteus
Swamp Wallaby                        Wallabia bicolor
Fox                                  Vulpes vulpes
Brown Hare                           Lepus capensis
Rabbit                               Oryctolagus cuniculus
104 species

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail:

Senior Zoologist
Ecology Australia Pty Ltd
88 B Station Street, Fairfield, Victoria 3078 AUSTRALIA
Phone BH (03) 9489 4191
E-mail: