birding-aus

South Island Pied Oystercatcher at Ballina NSW

To: <>
Subject: South Island Pied Oystercatcher at Ballina NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:52:45 +1100
Hi Birders,
There has been some speculation that the SIPO at Patches Beach, South Ballina could be the same bird as being seen in SE Queensland. I doubt that this is the case, because this same SIPO has frequented the long beach between Ballina & Evans Head, usually somewhere on Patches Beach from the 6th November 1998 up to the present. While the reporting rate has dropped significantly since 1999 when the bird's presence was first publicised, the bird has been regularly reported at the same site ever since then. At the time the bird was regularly being reported at Ballina, the other SIPO (s) were being seen near Brisbane.

Banding and colour-banding of Pied Oystercatchers has been taking place throughout the world for a long time. In fact for many years (as I remember) the oldest known banded bird was a Pied Oystercatcher (UK species) that had been banded 29 years before. This longevity record has now been eclipsed by Australian Magpies, Wandering Albatross and other species but other people know more about this than I do.

Alan Morris
records Officer, Birding NSW