birding-aus

Bushfires and birds from approx 1.5 hours west of Sydney

To: "Graham" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bushfires and birds from approx 1.5 hours west of Sydney
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:47:12 +1100
Following on from Graham Turner's story, I took an American visitor down the
Mountain Lagoon Road from Bilpin NSW, and the entire area where one could
see Spotted Quail-thrush at the junction of Comleroy Road was burnt. At the
Wheeney Creek picnic area we saw a pair of Superb Lyrebirds feeding in the
burnt undergrowth quite close to the picnic area.  A Leaden Flycatcher which
was in the same trees as when I lead a bird club outing late last year. Also
in the same corner of the picnic area, this time without a piece of green
vegetation was a family of Variegated Fairywrens.  A Glossy Black Cockatoo
called from the burnt are higher up from Wheeney Creek.

Trevor Quested

Sydney, Australia

---=_NextPart_000_0068_01C1A1FD.0549B940

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Edithvale wetlands (south eastern =
suburbs of
Melbourne) is drying quite rapidly, but provided excellent birding this
afternoon. In the period 15:00 -- 17:00 and counting birds seen only =
from the
bird hide and carpark on the south side of Edithvale Rd,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I noted circa 46 species, including =
several views
each of Baillon's and Spotless Crakes, two Buff-banded Rails, about four =
Aust.
Spotted Crakes, about 200 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, a Marsh Sand, two =
Greenshank,
three Japanese Snipe, at least&nbsp;eleven Red-kneed Dotts, and for me =
the
highlight (first for me here), an adult Nankeen Night Heron flying in to =

feed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the crakes and rails were see =
within 20 metres
of the viewing point, and very close Yellow-billed Spoonbills, a Magpie =
Goose,
two Crested Pigeons and an adult Swamp Harrier&nbsp; unsuccessfully =
attacking
three Pacific Black ducklings were also well worth =
watching.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peter Lansley.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0068_01C1A1FD.0549B940--