birding-aus

continuation of Atlas

To: "Paul Coddington" <>, <>
Subject: continuation of Atlas
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:34:17 +1100
I strongly agree.  I have been wondering whether we should be continuing
with Atlas surveys.  I think the material received recently about
publication of the Atlas results also mentioned that an extension of the
Atlas surveys could be assisted if enough early purchases of the book were
received.  Obviously a major issue is the cost associated with receiving,
vetting and entering the data from surveys.

If the surveys are extended, I presume there would need to be a cutoff point
for what material was included in the 2002 publication, but the data could
continue to accumulate.

Any further news on this matter would be really useful - especially as I
have discovered that many birds do still come out in the heat of a Mildura
summer!!

A brief bushland wander along the banks of the Murray River just 2kms East
of Mildura town produced some 35 species including breeding Sacred
Kingfisher, a band of 8 White-browed Babblers, Apostlebirds and 6 species
(Willie Wagtail, Blue-faced HE, White-plumed HE, Spiny-cheeked HE, Red
Wattlebird and House Sparrow) all sharing, argumentatively and rather
vociferously, one quite small dead tree branch lying on the ground.  The
Mildura Golf Club also hosts Apostlebirds, a huge flock of Black-tailed
Native Hens and resident Pied Butcherbird (beautiful in the early morning).
Another of the delights of Mildura-on-the-Murray is the regular patrolling
of the river by resident Whistling Kites with their distinctive call echoing
over the tree-tops.

Bob Cook
Mildura, Victoria