birding-aus

bird banding on Lord Howe Island

To: <>
Subject: bird banding on Lord Howe Island
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:24:27 -0800
Hello all,
In light of the recent 'discussion' on bird-banding I decided to show what an
insensitive yobbo I really am.

I have created a web page with some pictures of my experience of bird banding
while on Lord Howe Island with a group from Birds Queensland in 1994.
During that trip I met, for the first and last time, the late Bill Lane.
That was an experience that I will cherish for as long as I am capable of
conscious thought.

Bird banding had not been part of the planned trip but was certainly a wonderful
extension to the whole experience on the island.

It is quite obvious that the results obtained from bird banding can often be a
long time in coming.
However, the successful re-establishment of a viable population of Woodhens in
the wild and their continued viability is undoubtedly dependent on such
activities as banding.

To see the web-page try: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc/birdbanding.htm

Cheers,
Bob Inglis