birding-aus

Re: Year of the Outback

Subject: Re: Year of the Outback
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:00:55 +1000
I've received some positive responses regarding a potential one-off
Outback Twitchathon.  For those that missed my initial posting the idea is
to piggy back on the Year of the Outback in 2002 and raise money for
Newhaven.  I assume Birds Australia will have no problem with this
concept.  I'm thinking of keeping it a simple affair - no prizes just the
satisfaction of raising money and, for the competitive, the satisfaction
of seeing more birds than the other teams.  I assume that birding-ausers
who can't take part will support participating teams.

At this stage it looks like we have 2 teams in Victoria and one in NSW
with a possible organiser volunteering in Queensland.  If this gets off
the ground I think more teams will come on board.  What is the likelihood
of getting teams from South Australia and Mount Isa??  Once we get off the
ground we can canvass the regular twitchathoners for their interest.  I
envisage this affair being much smaller than the main twitchathon due to
the obvious constraints that people may have getting into the "outback"
for a weekend.

Has anyone a preference for time of year.  I think having it as far as
possible from the October Twitchathon is preferable.  I initially thought
the first week of September but this might interfere with a planned trip
of mine to FNQ.  I still think early spring is the time but how about late
July?

Cheers

David Geering

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.