birding-aus

Digital Camera's

To: "Tonyp" <>, "Bob Forsyth" <>
Subject: Digital Camera's
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:37:02 +1100
Hello Bob, Tony and other Birdos,

This is a fascinating line of discussion for myself as I'm currently in the throes of deciding whether to make the jump from film-based cameras to digital. I've always been keen on the Canon image stabilisation lenses which enable you to handhold long lenses without a telescope. As the least expensive of the SLR style digital cameras is the Canon EOS D30 this is the way I'm thinking of going.

Tony, your photos with the D1X are stunning! Certainly this is helping to push me over the edge as far as digital is concerned. I encourage people who are interested and haven't seen some of Tony's seabird photos to check them out at http://users.bigpond.net.au/palliser/pix-indx.html

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had any experience with the Canon EOS D30 for photographing wildlife, particularly birds. Problems, bad experiences etc as well as good ones. Unfortunately Tony's Nikon D1X is a bit out of my price range but I'm still interested in the Nikon digital SLRs. Along these same lines does anyone have any advice on camera retailers in Australia that stock these types of cameras? Anyone interested in purchasing some Nikon gear might like to give me a call also!

As this is probably starting to deviate from Birding-aus subject matter it might be best if people respond to me personally.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW