birding-aus

*Rotomah Island*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Rotomah Island*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:45:50 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I'm singing to a degree? due to the fabulous ABC TV
special that aired on TV last night. This is assisting
me to calm my irate state of mind and troubled heart.

Could I ask for all info relating to the general state
of repair of the buildings on Rotamah Island please
..... including the jetty? where can I obtain such
information? are there any other jobs that need
extreme urgent attention on the Island?

Secondly how is any decision evolved re: Rotomah
Island? and necessary urgent repairs? what process for
community consultation exists? if there is one has it
been implemented? if not, why not? are their any
dangerous building products to be removed from the
Island? I need to ask all of the above due to a severe
lack of honest information?

I personally think this is thee worst short sighted
view considering the boom times ahead we are told to
expect in tourism and Australia generally.

Goes off singing like a good behaved birdo at present.

Their safe wings are worth a fortune,
Wow wow wow,
It's a joy to hear them sing,
Wow wow wow wow,
They give me hope and consolation,
Oh ooh ohh,
They give me strength to carry on,

Thank you very much,
John A. Gamblin just left the building ....
A leading Gippsland environmental organisation has
expressed concerns about the ?behind closed doors?
approach to negotiations between Parks Victoria and
Birds Australia.

Watermark Chairman Peter Synan said the environmental
group?s committee met this week and members were
worried that Gippslanders would not have a chance to
comment until it was too late.

?The problem is the lack of information,? Mr Synan
said.

?There are a lot of rumours floating around but very
few facts in writing that we can consider as a
community and make up our own minds about the future
of the Rotamah Bird Observatory.

?We have heard that the wardens have been instructed
to take no more bookings after December 31, 2001,
which seems to be a strange decision unless an
agreement has already been reached to close the
facility to the
public.

?The community of Gippsland has been left in the dark
and we are calling on the State Government and Birds
Australia to open the issue to community debate.?

Mr Synan said Watermark had received information that
Birds Australia - which currently leases the site from
Parks Victoria - would not continue with the operation
in the face of rising costs and the failure to meet
annual operating expenses.

It is understood that Parks Victoria has requested
increased rent from Birds Australia and made other
demands in relation to management and maintenance of
the facility.

?We also understand that there are some concerns about
the state of buildings and the need for costly
repairs,? Mr Synan said.

?But this is also hearsay and information we are
receiving third and fourth hand from concerned bird
watchers and other people interested in the future
management and promotion of the Gippsland Lakes as a
world-class environmental attraction.

?Until we have all of the information, Watermark can?t
take an informed stance on this issue and neither can
the people of Gippsland.?

The Watermark committee resolved to write to Parks
Victoria and Birds Australia to seek clarification of
the process. Letters will also be sent to National
Party Leader Peter Ryan and Gippsland East MLA Craig
Ingram.

?Basically, we want to know what is going on and we
don?t want anything to happen that adversely affects
the future of the Rotamah Bird Observatory before the
people of Gippsland have their say,? Mr Synan
concluded.

Media information: Contact Watermark member Darren
Chester on 51 55 3719