birding-aus

Closure by Birds Australia of Rotamah Island Bird Observatory

Subject: Closure by Birds Australia of Rotamah Island Bird Observatory
From: "Calamanthus Fuliginosus" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:26:55 +0800
Well someones listening even if it not BA.
This has apparently gone to local newspapers throughout eastern Victoria

COMMUNITY MUST BE CONSULTED OVER ROTAMAH ISLAND

21/11/01

STOP PRESS: Gippslanders must be given the opportunity to comment on the future
of the Rotamah Bird Observatory according to a leading environmental
organisation. Watermark has expressed concern that ?behind closed doors?
negotiations will see a community asset closed without community consultation.

MEDIA RELEASE: The State Government and Birds Australia will be asked to
consult the Gippsland community before finalising any plans for the future of
Rotamah Bird Observatory on the Gippsland Lakes.

A leading Gippsland environmental organisation has expressed concerns about the
?behind closed doors? approach to negotiations between Parks Victoria and Birds
Australia.

Watermark Chairman Peter Synan said the environmental group?s committee met
this week and members were worried that Gippslanders would not have a chance to
comment until it was too late.

?The problem is the lack of information,? Mr Synan said.

?There are a lot of rumours floating around but very few facts in writing that
we can consider as a community and make up our own minds about the future of
the Rotamah Bird Observatory.

?We have heard that the wardens have been instructed to take no more bookings
after December 31, 2001, which seems to be a strange decision unless an
agreement has already been reached to close the facility to the public.

?The community of Gippsland has been left in the dark and we are calling on the
State Government and Birds Australia to open the issue to community debate.?

Mr Synan said Watermark had received information that Birds Australia - which
currently leases the site from Parks Victoria - would not continue with the
operation in the face of rising costs and the failure to meet annual operating
expenses.

It is understood that Parks Victoria has requested increased rent from Birds
Australia and made other demands in relation to management and maintenance of
the facility.

?We also understand that there are some concerns about the state of buildings
and the need for costly repairs,? Mr Synan said.

?But this is also hearsay and information we are receiving third and fourth
hand from concerned bird watchers and other people interested in the future
management and promotion of the Gippsland Lakes as a world-class environmental
attraction.

?Until we have all of the information, Watermark can?t take an informed stance
on this issue and neither can the people of Gippsland.?

The Watermark committee resolved to write to Parks Victoria and Birds Australia
to seek clarification of the process. Letters will also be sent to National
Party Leader Peter Ryan and Gippsland East MLA Craig Ingram.

?Basically, we want to know what is going on and we don?t want anything to
happen that adversely affects the future of the Rotamah Bird Observatory before
the people of Gippsland have their say,? Mr Synan concluded.

Media information: Contact Watermark member Darren Chester on 51 55 3719