birding-aus

Local lists and local knowledge

To: <>
Subject: Local lists and local knowledge
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:18:38 -0800
Bruce Cox wrote:

> Most birdos have a patch , generally near home , they consider their
> particular birding province, to me it is Sydney's Northern Beaches.

I can understand Bruce's sensation of getting a new bird for his locality. I
have similar thing going for my backyard (pretty ordinary) list (believe it
or not a Grey Fantail was a new one this year and it put on an appearance
for 2 weeks, even though I have had more rarer birds turn up in the past)
and Shire list (which is the Blacktown Shire for me and now have a list of
over 200 species for this shire, which I would be happy to provide info. to
the council or interested parties. Saw 2 one or two new ones recently at
Prospect Reservoir). It would be great if more birdos can dedicate some of
their time to concentrate on a list for their local area (by visiting the
local patches of bush and/or wetland on a regualr basis. Alot can be gained
through local knowledge by frequently visiting these areas. We can all be
bird experts of our local patches. I know a number of birdo's who do this
regularly and have build up a fantastic lists containing some rare or sought
after species. One may be surprised what rarer birds do infact turn up in
their local areas, even ones that they have never seen before and have put
in alot of effort elsewhere.

cheers!

Edwin