birding-aus

Oh Exultation!!

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Oh Exultation!!
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:12:53 +1100
Hi all,

Most birdos have a patch , generally near home , they consider their
particular birding province, to me it is Sydney's Northern Beaches. I think
I know the birds there and get exited when I see something different. Birds
in your own patch may have a different currency to what they may have in the
general scheme of affairs, some generally common birds may be uncommon or
even rare on your patch and some of your relatively common birds may be
uncommon elsewhere. (Pheasant Coucals and Brush Bronzewings). A bird I
discovered on the Northern Beaches last year is the White-throated Gerygone
(As it turns out others have recorded it previously ,but not frequently).

Today I picked up my bins for the first time since returning from our 16 day
Western Australia twitch, I had to buy some stuff at Warriwood Mall and
decided to check out a new boardwalk Pittwater Council have built through
part of Warriwood Wetland. I saw a small yellowish bird in a sapling
Mahogany, "Yellow Thornbill I said". But no, through the bins it was a
White-Throated Gerygone and what's more it was carrying food to a nest in
the sapling, obviously feeding young or a mate on eggs. (Wow! almost as good
as the Red-necked Phalarope on Rottnest Island!). I saw W-t G at a nest on
Oxford Falls Rd. last year but was unsure if it was building or dismantling
the nest as the next time I visited the nest was in tatters. This one I hope
to follow through to the stage where young appear. It would be great to have
a breeding record for S's N. B.

The boardwalk should be a great place for crakes and rails as it's elevated
aspect gives a great view of heaps of mud.

Well, that's my rave for now.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.