birding-aus

Terns on Kangaroo Island

Subject: Terns on Kangaroo Island
From: "Ken Grinter" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:29:08 +1030
After two or three days of strong cold southerlies,on Monday 12th Nov I was down at Cape du Coudeic at the SW tip of KI and with the large group of resting Crested Terns there was a smaller tern, bright red bill and legs, white forehead and black cap. I am sure it was an Antarctic Tern which is not even in my Simpson and Day but is on my Simpson and Day CD. If anybody has any other suggestions let me know. Again from the CD the Australian sightings are only shown as a small section of the SA coastline including KI.

I drove most of the length of the island on Tuesday to check whether it was still there, naturally it was not, but this time with the Crested Terns there was a Common Tern. My KI bird book shows only two records for KI the first a beachwashed specimen in 1959 which was a first for SA. So an interesting couple of days.

Cheers
Ken Grinter

Experience Kangaroo Island at night
Alkirna Nocturnal Tours