birding-aus

A national twitchathon?

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: A national twitchathon?
From: Ros Laundon <>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:09:49 +1000
Hello David and other Twitchers,

Last weekend I was part of the shifty Shags team with Sheena Gillman and
John Harris in the Queensland Twitch and enjoyed every minute of it.  We
got 156 which was 22 better than our last total in 1999.  Due to strong
duty calls we were not all 3 present all the time.  Reconnoitring the
route over the last few months has been almost as much fun as the Twitch
itself.  We are very fortunate to have the Lockyer Valley (Bill Jolley
country) within our range and doubly lucky to have some excellent
pointers from Bill himself.  We concentrated on the Lockyer on the
Saturday where we got 104 birds in just under 7 hours.

On the Sunday we headed up to the rainforest in Brisbane Forest Park
where a little light rain had stirred up the birds beautifully.  Next
target was the waders around the Port of Brisbane and the neighbouring
Wynnum.  At 5 minutes to 12 midday we were on the Wynnum Mangrove
boardwalk with 152 birds and thought we were finished but picked up 4
more in a mad flurry of calling, spotting and ticking.  That really put
the icing on the cake for us.

Tuesday night is our Twitch Dinner and I hope to hear (once again) how
those Unleaded Petrels from Toowoomba managed to get so many.  We have
over 50 more to tick to catch them.

Funds raised in the Queensland Twitch go to support Ornithological
research undertaken in Queensland.  This is a vital top-up of funds for
supporting continual and continuing research in the state.  A serious
proposal for a national twitch would have to address the destination of
funds raised.

Regards,
Ros.