birding-aus

RFI Australian bird songs on the internet

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Australian bird songs on the internet
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:05:11 +1100
> Sid and Sharon Genaux (of USA) <> wrote:
> Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 01:58:22 GMT
>

> Do you know of a website where I could access the
> songs of the following Australian birds? If you don't
> could you post this request to birding-Aus for me? I'd
> like to record these songs to use in my programs on
> Australian birds for the local bird club.
>
>  Magpie Goose
> *Brolga
> *Bush Stone-curlew
>  Spotted Turtledove
> *Tawny Frogmouth
> *Laughing Kookaburra
> *Bell Miner
> *Eastern Whipbird
> *Chiming Wedgebill
> *Willie Wagtail
>  Grey Butcherbird
> *Australian Magpie

You could try the British Library of Wildlife Sounds (now called the
National Sound Archive (NSA) UK, wildlife division), but I doubt if the
sounds you require are directly accessible.  Their catalogue is at
http://cadensa.bl.uk

> I tried to get them from the Library of Natural Sounds
> at Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, but the director
> says that they don't have many Australian birds
> represented in their collection and the recordings
> they do have are not of the best quality. They would
> really
> like to have some good quality recordings from
> Australia; maybe some birding-Aus members who are
> sound-recording hobbyests would like to send some
> tapes to Cornell.

Some Australian recordists have lodged recordings with NSA (UK).  Recordists
who lodge copies of their recordings with such archives usually do so at
their own expense, so to lodge sounds with more than two archives becomes
something of a marathon both financially and work-wise.  The Australian
CSIRO wildlife sound archive doesn't have any sounds available over the
internet, so far as I know.

The best I can suggest is to buy a CD by mail order from Birds Australia.
Dave Stewart's "Australian Bird Calls Favourites" has those species I've
marked with an asterisk, but there's a multitude of other CDs and tapes of
birdsong recordings stocked by Birds Australia, to choose from.

Vicki Powys