birding-aus

Re: BOCA CDs

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: BOCA CDs
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:15:33 +1100
The US CD set "Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs (Eastern Region)"
contains 372 species on 3 CDs.  To work around the 99 track limit,
they simply put two species on some tracks instead of one.  Each
species has a voice introduction, so this works pretty well; you
only have to skip over one species at most.

An improvement on this would be to use index marks within the tracks.
This feature is on most CD players, though perhaps not on portable
players.  I believe it is possible to have up to 99 index marks within
a track, though the most I've seen on an audio CD is seven (six if
you don't count the start of the track as #1.)