birding-aus

white-fronted tern ID

To: birdingaus <>
Subject: white-fronted tern ID
From: John Boyce <>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 08:46:36 +1100
Hi everyone,
my brother has reported a possible white-fronted Tern on the main beach
at Kilcunda in Victoria (near Phillip Island, Western Port Bay).
However, he is not 100% on the ID and has found that the field guides
and HANZAB are all subtly different making ID rather tricky.  I know
that the same ID problems with "commic" terns have been discussed before
but if anyone has any reliable ID hints I would love to hear them and
pass them on.  Also if anyone is near Kilcunda they might want to stop
in and have a look, it has been roosting with lots of Crested Terns for
about a week and is usually visible late morning/afternoon.
John Boyce
--

John Boyce
Department of Microbiology