birding-aus

Banyule (Melb) - Pink-eared Duck

To: Tim Dolby <>
Subject: Banyule (Melb) - Pink-eared Duck
From: Celia & Russell Browne <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:13:21 +1000
Tim - the Pink-eared duck was there on Saturday, just one.  I was there
at the same time as two other birdos, one of whom had a 'scope.  He had
picked it up in the main wetlands area on the opposite side to the 2
benches at the lookout point.  I wouldn't have picked it with my bins
but could see it well thru his 'scope.  Their names were (I think) John
& his brother Robin who was from the U.K.  John lives locally & is a
member of BOCA.

I've just returned from Banyule after spending an hour there 11-12 AM.
No painted Snipe but an excellent look at one Latham's, asleep with head
tucked under wing, then probing in the mud in the small grubby pool at
the north end.

Was also there last night  between 6 & 7PM - no Painted Snipe but good
sightings of Buff-banded Rail.  6 other twitchers were there but had had
no luck when we left just after 7 PM.    Celia