birding-aus

Western Treatemnt Plant, Sunday 22nd. Werribee Victoria

To: "Birding- aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatemnt Plant, Sunday 22nd. Werribee Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:13:05 +1000
Great Birding at the Treatment Plant is just perfect weather.   Most of the
ducks seemed to have moved to ponds other than Lake Borrie.  There are many
Pink-eared Duck in the Outfall Channel in Area 3,they seem to be surfing in
the water.  We were able to observe them closely, you could easily see the
Pink Ear  without using binoculars!
A small aeroplane flew low over the Plant and we were amazed to see 17,
(seventeen) Whistling Kites rise  together, what a magic sight.
At Kirks' Point there were a few Golden Plover, a couple of Ruddy Turnstones
near the mouth of Little River and numerous Red-necked Stints, Sharp-Tailed
Sandpipers and Curlew Sandpipers feeding on the mudflats.   In all we saw 69
different species,( I need lessons from Tania, who saw 104!) and there are
still plenty of Black-tailed Native Hens about.
Shirley Cameron